Satin Sheets

Found a link to a place to buy great satin clothing? Post it here
mysatin

Satin Sheets

Post by mysatin »

I've reposted this old article from mysatin.com as it seems more appropriate here. We used to get asked about where we buy our satin sheets from, a lot... :D
We have had quite a few queries about where we get our satin sheets from, so here's the answer...

Online Stores
Probably one of the nicest sheet sets I have came from the Satin Bedding Boutique, they give excellent service and the sheets are fantastically smooth. I would recommond these to people as they are expertly made sheets with a great range of different types of fabric. They also make the sheets in such a way that there is no seam on the the sleeping surface of the sheet (obviously depending on the size of your bed!). We took the photo shoot with Ninie in Silver Pyjamas on these sheets - you can really see the quality in the video.

Another place to go is Between the Sheets, we have brought a lovely set of black satin sheets from them a while back, alothough I don't think they are quite as smooth as the lingerie satin ones from Satin Bedding Boutique. They do however do a fantastic range of colours of satin, and if you are feeling particularly flush they even have pure silk sheets too! (Although unfortunately I dont have any... yet!) Again, the sheets are typically made in such a way that there are no seams on the sleeping surface. We have used these in a couple of sets.

High Street Shops
We have amassed a few of these here & there on our travels. You tend to get what you pay for, and the cheaper sets look great, but unfortunately dont feel as good as some of the higher quality sheet sets we have.

For example the red satin sheet in this set was brought from a chain store called Briscoes (they don't do online sales unfortunately, and I brought them many years ago), but they are a bit flimsy and not great to sleep in. The white satin sheet here was brought from a chain store called Ballentynes. We've got other sets which you will hopefully see in the future :-)

Made by ourselves

The most colourful of our sets are actually made by ourselves (although the Satin Bedding Boutique has a fairly good range of colours too!). I just have a cheap sewing machine and sew the fabric together - it's all square edges so designing the pattern isn't too difficult, it's just time consuming to actually do the sewing... The obvious disadvantage with this method is that you typically get a join/seam running somewhere on the sleeping surface of sheets, however you do get the advantage of choosing the orientation of the fabric to ensure that the "grain" is at is most slipperiest against your (matching) satin nightwear/pyjamas. [Some of the time we also make some nightwear to match the sheets sets...] Before measuring/designing your pattern, make sure you know the width of the fabric you are buying - common widths are 115cm (45") and 150cm (60")

We buy the fabric both at online stores and local stores, for example

Olive green satin sheets: fabric is 115 cm wide and purchased online from Chawlas. They have a huge selection of satin fabrics with some really cool colours. I also got the rust coloured fabric from them as well.
Purple satin sheets: fabric was 150cm and purchased from an eBay.co.uk store called Material World. Cost for the fabric is around £30-£40, and they do around 10 different colours of polyester satin.
Turquoise satin sheets: fabric was 150cm wide and purchased online from http://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/, price was £3.50/metre, but I made the duvet/comforter and pillows from white satin on the reverse side.
You will get to see some of the other sheet sets we have made in some upcoming photo shoots. Unfortunately, I cannot make any sheet sets for you (I simply don't have the time, and I don't think it would be cost effective compared to my day job!). If you are interested, I would suggest you give it a try yourself - it isn't that hard - really!
BarbiSatin

Re: Satin Sheets

Post by BarbiSatin »

My frustration with satin sheets is that acetate satin sheets are becoming so hard to find. Nothing else does it for me.
I am a t girl who is addicted to acetate satin. Wearing satin, satin sheets and being bound and tickled tortured with satin ribbons and bows.
SatinBoy

Post by SatinBoy »

These prices make me want to put mine up - they are unbelievable
mica46

Post by mica46 »

I bought a set off ebay for around £30 and within a couple of months they were already tearing at the seam.
SatinBoy

Post by SatinBoy »

Hi Mica

although not nice to hear - the question is what have you been up to to make them tear little miss?

SatinBoy
Bryan39

Post by Bryan39 »

I have been using Divatex Home Fashions Royal Opulence Satin Sheet Set, I mean, totally. It's hot down here in south Texas, and these have a nice cooling effect. They feel great, fit like they're supposed to; my hands are not the color of the sheets, nor is my mattress pad; and if I slip and slide, it's 'cause it's satin and I'm having a good time on it. Go with the flow, I say. Try looking for an answer, rather than looking for a problem.

Shall I cover the major issues? Let me just say to start, these sheets are great for the price.... and have you priced satin sheets at, say, Macy's lately? But as satin bedding has grown increasingly popular, Macy's has lowered prices, too.

Hey folks, if they don't fit, consider what size you're paying for and don't try to save a couple of bucks by trying to stretch a sheet that's too small. Twin sheets don't fit full mattresses very well. I have a full-size bed. But the mattress is thick (those cushion tops add up, you know), plus I have a fairly thick mattress pad. So, I buy queen size sheets. It's a lot easier on the back, besides the mattress.

Of course, it's polyester, and there's nothing "fake" about that. Most satin we see today is polyester. Silk threads made from silk worms are really not going to be found in this price range. Cotton just ain't gonna work. You see, satin is a type of weave, not a source for thread. [...]

If you slide, there's a reason behind that. Though there are several weave methods for satin, most (and those we can expect to find) are made to be slippery, shiny, whathaveyou. Think of it perhaps as a "poor man's silk," silk also being known in typical forms for its smoothness, thus slipperiness. This is what provides the cool effect and that "nice" feel you enjoy, besides the interesting additions to your playtime. And, yes, your blanket may also slide: that's life in your new satin world of royalty. I wonder if Velcro would help ;)? Say, I wonder if this slippery quality might account for some of the corners "sliding" loose?

I haven't had it happen; but I suppose "runs" are possible, just as in nylon stockings. Try taking your jewelry and shoes off before climbing into bed. If your skin is causing the runs, see a dermatologist. Ever try satin or silk pajamas or nightshirt? They feel good, too, and shouldn't run your satin sheets.

Unless the company's color runs are different, I don't understand some of the color criticisms. I have gold (it's not yellow at all); red, which is bright, rich and vibrant all at once; and black, which is about the blackest black I've seen. At least these three colors are gorgeous to my Monet-loving mind.

The price for these varies all over the place, you can keep an eye on it. It even varies greatly among colors. If you bought them for ten bucks, in which decade was that? Actually, they've been pretty darn close to that here lately. And lemme tellya, that's an incredible bargain. Best department store (no Amazon then) price [...]

Now, I'm sure there have been legitimate problems with these sheets, as there surely will be with anything on this earth. But frankly, some reviews I've read indicate that the purchasers had no idea what satin is. In those cases, read about satin in Wikipedia and feel your sheets thoroughly and chalk this up to education and experience. Remember this: "satin" is a weave designed to be this way, at least in sheets. These sheets are not woven cotton, they are not flannel, they are not wool, they probably are closest in texture to the typical silks we see of any material or weave technique (I say it this way because silk also may have a "soft" weave that is more like a soft wool).

In the case of a couple of reviews, I think somebody had gotten out of the bed on the wrong side.

Does this long speech help anybody with your decision?
mica46

Post by mica46 »

Hi Satinboy

Wouldn't you like to know :D

Mica
xx
Baybee

Post by Baybee »

I bought my satin sheets from Primark, they arent as good as the My satin HQ.....but i do like rollinh around in bed....they are hot pink :-D
georgegt3

Post by georgegt3 »

Get mine from ebay bout £25,last lot lasted years just replaced them a couple of months ago.
Baybee wrote:.but i do like rollinh around in bed....they are hot pink :-D
You can roll around in mine anytime Baybee :D
Satin always looks best on a women
Baybee

Post by Baybee »

georgegt3 wrote:Get mine from ebay bout £25,last lot lasted years just replaced them a couple of months ago.
Baybee wrote:.but i do like rollinh around in bed....they are hot pink :-D
You can roll around in mine anytime Baybee :D

Hahehe George, where do u live, what do ure satin sheets look like?? :-X
georgegt3

Post by georgegt3 »

I live bout 30 miles west of london (down the M4) and mine are black king size new and soft. :wink:
Satin always looks best on a women
lemonwomble

Post by lemonwomble »

mysatin wrote:I've reposted this old article from mysatin.com as it seems more appropriate here. We used to get asked about where we buy our satin sheets from, a lot... :D
We have had quite a few queries about where we get our satin sheets from, so here's the answer...

Online Stores
Probably one of the nicest sheet sets I have came from the Satin Bedding Boutique, they give excellent service and the sheets are fantastically smooth. I would recommond these to people as they are expertly made sheets with a great range of different types of fabric. They also make the sheets in such a way that there is no seam on the the sleeping surface of the sheet (obviously depending on the size of your bed!). We took the photo shoot with Ninie in Silver Pyjamas on these sheets - you can really see the quality in the video.

Another place to go is Between the Sheets, we have brought a lovely set of black satin sheets from them a while back, alothough I don't think they are quite as smooth as the lingerie satin ones from Satin Bedding Boutique. They do however do a fantastic range of colours of satin, and if you are feeling particularly flush they even have pure silk sheets too! (Although unfortunately I dont have any... yet!) Again, the sheets are typically made in such a way that there are no seams on the sleeping surface. We have used these in a couple of sets.

High Street Shops
We have amassed a few of these here & there on our travels. You tend to get what you pay for, and the cheaper sets look great, but unfortunately dont feel as good as some of the higher quality sheet sets we have.

For example the red satin sheet in this set was brought from a chain store called Briscoes (they don't do online sales unfortunately, and I brought them many years ago), but they are a bit flimsy and not great to sleep in. The white satin sheet here was brought from a chain store called Ballentynes. We've got other sets which you will hopefully see in the future :-)

Made by ourselves

The most colourful of our sets are actually made by ourselves (although the Satin Bedding Boutique has a fairly good range of colours too!). I just have a cheap sewing machine and sew the fabric together - it's all square edges so designing the pattern isn't too difficult, it's just time consuming to actually do the sewing... The obvious disadvantage with this method is that you typically get a join/seam running somewhere on the sleeping surface of sheets, however you do get the advantage of choosing the orientation of the fabric to ensure that the "grain" is at is most slipperiest against your (matching) satin nightwear/pyjamas. [Some of the time we also make some nightwear to match the sheets sets...] Before measuring/designing your pattern, make sure you know the width of the fabric you are buying - common widths are 115cm (45") and 150cm (60")

We buy the fabric both at online stores and local stores, for example

Olive green satin sheets: fabric is 115 cm wide and purchased online from Chawlas. They have a huge selection of satin fabrics with some really cool colours. I also got the rust coloured fabric from them as well.
Purple satin sheets: fabric was 150cm and purchased from an eBay.co.uk store called Material World. Cost for the fabric is around £30-£40, and they do around 10 different colours of polyester satin.
Turquoise satin sheets: fabric was 150cm wide and purchased online from http://www.online-fabrics.co.uk/, price was £3.50/metre, but I made the duvet/comforter and pillows from white satin on the reverse side.
You will get to see some of the other sheet sets we have made in some upcoming photo shoots. Unfortunately, I cannot make any sheet sets for you (I simply don't have the time, and I don't think it would be cost effective compared to my day job!). If you are interested, I would suggest you give it a try yourself - it isn't that hard - really!

Mysatin

In the article above you mentioned Satin bedding boutique? Were these the lingerie or acetate sheets they sell. Also you wouldnt happen to have a link to the video in which we can see them. I had a look on the site and via the internet archive and I was unable to find the Ninnie in Silver Pyjamas. Im basically going to buy a set but just want to be sure of the quality before I make the purchase - they arent cheap. Many thanks.
mysatin

Post by mysatin »

lemonwomble wrote: Mysatin

In the article above you mentioned Satin bedding boutique? Were these the lingerie or acetate sheets they sell. Also you wouldnt happen to have a link to the video in which we can see them. I had a look on the site and via the internet archive and I was unable to find the Ninnie in Silver Pyjamas. Im basically going to buy a set but just want to be sure of the quality before I make the purchase - they arent cheap. Many thanks.
The sheets we bought were purchased in 2003 (8 or 9 years ago) so I don't know how they compare to today's range from them or even if they are still made from the same fabric. I'm fairly sure the ones we got from them are polyester, but they are significantly heavier (and nicer) than those you tend to get on eBay for example. You can see the ones we have in the intro video for satinplay.com (the last two cut scenes, Roxanna and Zoe)
Silkysusan

Post by Silkysusan »

I got a set today from Lewisham Market!
Nice soft and silky Ivory Satin, enjoying them right now!
silk14

Post by silk14 »

I happen to find mine on amazon for like under 35.00 bucks give or take a few dollars.