What are the best vintage wedding dress brands?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
ilovesquirting

What are the best vintage wedding dress brands?

Post by ilovesquirting »

Hey, everyone. Recently I've been stumped.

I've been trying to find wedding dress brands that sell those poof sleeve 90s style wedding dresses with the thin but incredibly smooth kind of satin. I hate the thick, stiff, crisp kind of satin used in some brands like Bonny. That stuff feels awful 🤮.

I've bought about 12 wedding dresses so far and have only managed to get two that have that soft satin.

Does anyone know of any brands in particular to look out for?

I'm just sick of playing the guessing game, it's taking too much time out of my day both finding dresses like that and contacting the people selling them to verify how they feel.
Satinesque

Re: What are the best vintage wedding dress brands?

Post by Satinesque »

I hate those types of sleeves on all dresses, but I know what you mean about some dress fabrics - they feel no better than polished paper, like a stiffness that doesn't deserve the word Satin or Silk to be associated with it, at all. I can't imagine why such materials are even used.
"Slippery, When Dry!"
ilovesquirting

Post by ilovesquirting »

Satinesque wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:53 pm I hate those types of sleeves on all dresses, but I know what you mean about some dress fabrics - they feel no better than polished paper, like a stiffness that doesn't deserve the word Satin or Silk to be associated with it, at all. I can't imagine why such materials are even used.
Right? I can’t imagine a bride actually wanting to wear that crap. I know they don’t have a satin fetish like us (at least not that I know of), but I still can’t see someone being okay with spending a couple thousand $ on fabric like that. It’s almost like the fabric was meant to be used cheaply for display on a mannequin or something in order to cut costs.
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

Look for gowns from the 1940's and 50's. those gowns were made from rayon satin. Some people refer to it a s slipper satin.
ilovesquirting

Post by ilovesquirting »

coatfun wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:45 pm Look for gowns from the 1940's and 50's. those gowns were made from rayon satin. Some people refer to it a s slipper satin.

Rayon satin definitely feels good and is pretty much always consistent in terms of quality and texture.

However, I swear that nothing beats good quality 100% polyester satin. Some people think it’s too thin and while that is kind of true, if you double layer or have a nice slip underneath it feels like heaven. There’s also something really feminine about polyester satin like how lightweight it is and the way it flows and moves. Rayon just can’t do that.

Only 3/12 vintage wedding dresses I’ve bought have this kind of fabric. Two of those three are in between average and top tier in terms of feel, but don’t come nearly as close to how the third one feels.

The third one is the one that is absolutely insanely smooth. I honestly can’t believe something like it exists (in terms of wedding dresses). It’s made from a fabric that you would typically find on an extremely high quality satin night slip/dress. It’s also lined with a fabric that feels the same as the one on the outside.

The only problem is that there is no brand/company tag ANYWHERE on it. I tried asking the seller if she knew what brand or company made it, where she got it from, etc. She said she doesn’t remember because she’s a seamstress and has such a large collection of things amassed over the years and doesn’t really keep track :cry:.

I was absolutely devastated.

The dress I’ve attached below isn’t the one I was talking about as I don’t have any good pictures of mine. I do believe that this one in the pictures has the same kind of fabric as mine though which is why I’m providing it as a reference. Sadly there’s no way to contact the seller of this dress too or see what brand it is either. Every time I look at these pictures I get so jealous I wasn’t able to find this dress before it was bought :evil:. I just have the worst luck sometimes…

If anyone knows what brand this dress is I will literally pay you $50 I promise. Lol.

Extra photos attached below in case links stop working.
Attachments
IMG_9940.jpeg
IMG_9936.jpeg
IMG_9942.jpeg
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

My best guess is that is a Demetrios bridal gown. Based on all of the elaborate beading and lace.
ilovesquirting

Post by ilovesquirting »

coatfun wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:10 pm My best guess is that is a Demetrios bridal gown. Based on all of the elaborate beading and lace.
Believe it or not Demetrios was actually the brand I meant to refer to in my original post about having the stiff and crisp fabric, not Bonny. Maybe it was just one of the bad models of dresses they made and the others feel like the kind I yearn for.
shelly321x

Post by shelly321x »

I always like Alfred Angelo, Sweetheart, Mori Lee and Mary's bridal. Longs sleeves and lots of acetate bridal satin. From the late 80's and early 90's.
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

coatfun

Post by coatfun »

coatfun

Post by coatfun »