One stupid question

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
Freddy1000

One stupid question

Post by Freddy1000 »

Hi,

I'm new in the world of satin. And i have one dumb question.

What's the difference btw satin, silk and polyester ?? They look the same for me :s they can bright a lot
Favourite Models: LEIGH

Favourite Clothing: Long Nightgowns and Long satin dress.

Requests: Duo Sets (girl / girl), More Outfits, Speech.
neverenufsatin

Re: One stupid question

Post by neverenufsatin »

Perhaps I can answer that. Since I was raised with satin and been surrounded by it for all of my 60+ years, I am somewhat of and expert.
Satin, pure satin of days gone by, was made from highly polished cotton. It tended to be light in weight and very strong. It was also very porous allowing body heat to escape. Then after 1950, satin was produced chemically, primarily in Asian countries. Like the real satin of days gone by it is soft, lustrous, and very smooth to the touch particularly the feet since all the body's nerve endings pretty much finish up there, but it tends to have a chemical smell to it which disappears over time and usage. Today's satin is made into different types. Bridal satin is the heaviest used for clothes and bedding but there is an industrial weight satin which is used in upholstery and drapes/curtains. Then there are other grades of satin as well but unlike the old satin, it tends to wear faster, can get pulls easier, particularly from jewelery or animals and depending on the manufacturer, it can be a bit course to the touch. Satin is also a very good insulator from the cold but today's satin needs to be dry cleaned depending on how it's used. By itself it can be hand washed with care.
Taffeta satin is a starched form of satin. During the manufacturing process a starchy compound is added and the material comes out stiff. It even whistles a bit when you rub you toes or finger tips across it. You have to dry clean this type of satin as it doesn't do well if washed the regular way.
Silk is made from the threads of silk worms and is tightly woven into large rolls. This material is used primarily for clothing of all types but has also been used in bedding as well. Especially sheets. Unlike satin which can come in different grades, silk is manufactured in only one grade. The back of silk is not as smooth or soft as the front. In fact by comparison, it feels rather rough. Silk is easier to dye then satin and making prints on it like flowers is a piece of cake. Not so with any type of satin. Silk is not a porous material which keep body heat in. Pilots during the second and Korean wars wore silk socks and glove liners when they flew at high altitudes. It kept their feet and hands warm. Silk is very easy to maintain as it washes up like an old dish rag.
Now Polyester satin is a chemically based, machine made satin and has more uses then you can shake a stick at. Polyester itself is a soft, smooth and somewhat shiny material but when polished and washed, it takes on a high shine and softer feel. There are different types of polyester satin. The smooth type which is the most common, and the ugly ribbed kind of This is the knit kind and it is an entirely different manufacturing process then the woven kind which is what most clothing and bedding is made of today. Like silk, polyester satin is easy to dye and imprint with designs and such. It has replaced satin for bedding such as sheets and comforters, and as you probably know, can be seen almost everywhere today as underwear, blouses, shorts, pants, linings and many other forms of clothing. Polyester satin is also cheaper to process and manufacture but it is prone to staining from body fluids more easily then silk.
Polyester satin can be combined with nylon to produce nylon satin. It is thicker, stronger and more durable then any of the above and is widely used in the production of sports and outer clothing such as bomber jackets.

Hope this clarifies things for you.
Freddy1000

Post by Freddy1000 »

thx for the answer :D
Favourite Models: LEIGH

Favourite Clothing: Long Nightgowns and Long satin dress.

Requests: Duo Sets (girl / girl), More Outfits, Speech.
mrsilk

Post by mrsilk »

I always find that there is a lot of confusion regarding fibres and what they are woven into. Satin is a type of weave it is not a fibre nor does it demote fabric content, it can be made from natural fibre - silk, or man made -polyester, nylon etc. None of these fibres however are exclusive to satin weave for example silk fibre can be woven into satin, crepe, chiffon etc, the same is true of man made fibres. Its simply a matter of differentiating your fibres from your weaves. Hope this helps
avidsatin

Post by avidsatin »

Well I learnt something nevernusatin! I am still trying to decide whether shiny female clothing is good enough to arouse me :))

Lots of girls are wearing shiny pants (gf included) now but despite checking the labels of every shiny article my gf has there is nothing to say what the material is. I've asked her. She doesn't know either. It doesn't have the slipperness of real satin and has a lesser sheen. It doesn't feel as good to the touch. It doesn't drape.

Any thoughts?