RIP Jessica McClintock - Maker of Princesses

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
AlanaRaso

RIP Jessica McClintock - Maker of Princesses

Post by AlanaRaso »

For those of you in the US, especially the West Coast, yesterday we lost a San Francisco icon - Jessica McClintock - creater of Gunne Sax line
https://people.com/style/fashion-design ... ies-at-90/

She was responsible for making hundreds of thousands girls (and some boys) feel like a Princess for all of their formal events. From Christening, Prom, Holiday, Bridal, Bridesmaid and even MOB. I have owned over 30 Jessica McClintock dresses and separates.

I bought my first gown at age 17, during Halloween season, at the Jessica McClintock Outlet store in San Francisco. It was a size10 cobalt blue, boat neck, long satin gown with poofy sleeves and mermaid skirt. With elbow length satin gloves. I remember fingering the satin of the gown in the bag all the way home on the train. At that time, I only had discarded lingerie and a pajama outfit I had purchased as a "Mother's Day" gift. This was my first time buying a dress that was clearly for me. It was my coming of age moment as a satin obsessed crossdresser.

I was not the only male in the shop going through racks of gowns and the filipina ladies working there had seen it all. In San Francisco, Halloween is huge, a much bigger deal than Christmas. The cashier is the one who suggested I get the matching gloves. I loved that gown and two years later I actually wore it for Halloween - it was a little worse for wear. Unlike my sister who may wear the same formal 2-3 times only. I logged hundreds of dressing sessions. I got my money's worth from satin gowns!

In my late teens, I continued to build my collection and shop at the JM Outlet. The staff was completely indifferent to my being there. As long as I didn't try using the communal dressing room, they didn't care. They would happily take my money and ask if I needed anything else.

Coincidentally, I am selling off my Bridal Gown https://www.ebay.com/itm/Satin-Ivory-Je ... 4725948812 that I purchased but never wore. I bought this in my late 20s when my body had already changed to a "man's body" - I thought maybe if I lost weight I could wear it. That never happened. So it has been sitting in my closet (in a garment bag) for 30 years. If you like heavy satin acetate from the late 80s, this is your girl!

So thank you Jessica! You made this boy feel like a Princess.
Freddielinton

Re: RIP Jessica McClintock - Maker of Princesses

Post by Freddielinton »

Very sad to hear. Pretty much as sad as when the line was discontinued. Jessica McClintock dresses were among the first ones I ever bought. The material, color choices, and style of Jessica McClintock dresses were always extremely sexy and satiny. I honestly wish I had more of them. I definitely noticed an increase in pricing once the brand was discontinued. Unfortunately, I’m sure the dresses will go up in price even more now that she has passed. They’ll be considered “rare”.

I’ll never forget this quote from an article when the brand was discontinued :

“Even more relieving for parents was the fact that McClintock's dresses flattered figures without showcasing too much of them. That made the designer an outlier in the increasingly provocative prom market, which now favors cut-outs over class. "Jessica, she had two points of view on prom: She had designs for good girls, and we had designs for sexy girls," Shklovsky says. "But even our sexy girls were still good girls."

Rest In Peace!
AlanaRaso

Post by AlanaRaso »

Very sad to hear. Pretty much as sad as when the line was discontinued. Jessica McClintock dresses were among the first ones I ever bought. The material, color choices, and style of Jessica McClintock dresses were always extremely sexy and satiny. I honestly wish I had more of them. I definitely noticed an increase in pricing once the brand was discontinued. Unfortunately, I’m sure the dresses will go up in price even more now that she has passed. They’ll be considered “rare”.
Freddielinton wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:20 pm I’ll never forget this quote from an article when the brand was discontinued :

“Even more relieving for parents was the fact that McClintock's dresses flattered figures without showcasing too much of them. That made the designer an outlier in the increasingly provocative prom market, which now favors cut-outs over class. "Jessica, she had two points of view on prom: She had designs for good girls, and we had designs for sexy girls," Shklovsky says. "But even our sexy girls were still good girls."

Rest In Peace!
What a great quote and Yes, that is true. Her dresses were great when I was skinny boy who wanted to cover my body (modestly and slightly mask by gender) with high quality, high shine satin. You have me now regretting selling off my satin skirts and JM prom dresses. But I am downsizing and my 30 year cache needs to go.
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

Sorry to hear that news. I have 6 Jessica (Gunne Sax Gowns) 2 red acetate satin gowns one black and white and 3 solid black gowns. They are made from the best bridal satin and have given me so much pleasure over the last 20 years. By the way I had my eye on that bridal gown and almost bid on it. So much beautiful satin and that big pussy bow WOW! Made my cock jump to attention.
inlovewithsatin

Post by inlovewithsatin »

When I first heard of her death, I thought of a J.M. dress I bought many years ago. I think it was a large size flower girl dress. This was back when I could sort of fit into something of that size. I was thinner back then. Ha Ha.
jasmineyoungtg

Post by jasmineyoungtg »

AlanaRaso wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:47 pm For those of you in the US, especially the West Coast, yesterday we lost a San Francisco icon - Jessica McClintock - creater of Gunne Sax line
https://people.com/style/fashion-design ... ies-at-90/

She was responsible for making hundreds of thousands girls (and some boys) feel like a Princess for all of their formal events. From Christening, Prom, Holiday, Bridal, Bridesmaid and even MOB. I have owned over 30 Jessica McClintock dresses and separates.

I bought my first gown at age 17, during Halloween season, at the Jessica McClintock Outlet store in San Francisco. It was a size10 cobalt blue, boat neck, long satin gown with poofy sleeves and mermaid skirt. With elbow length satin gloves. I remember fingering the satin of the gown in the bag all the way home on the train. At that time, I only had discarded lingerie and a pajama outfit I had purchased as a "Mother's Day" gift. This was my first time buying a dress that was clearly for me. It was my coming of age moment as a satin obsessed crossdresser.
Omg! i have a vintage princess dress made by her. your story hit home for me. i'm trans and have been living my truth since age 7. i also became satin obsessed in my teens. i did not have a male puberty as i and my family decided i start testosterone blockers at 12 and 2 years later i started estrogen. i am 25 now and have a female body. i absolutely can feel the excitement of your story and that ride home. i did the same, fingering the satin in the bag on the car ride home (mom and sister took me shopping for it and shoes). and that feeling when you first wore it, i can totally relate. i felt like such a princess! i hope your wedding dress found a good home. if you have anything else left from her or that time period, send me a private message, i'd be interested in buying it.
szewei85

Post by szewei85 »

rip legend :( :(