Another set of satin sheets

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
Satinsheets

Another set of satin sheets

Post by Satinsheets »

Hello Satin Lovers; I had been looking for a satin fabric with red roses and to my delight located 16 yards from a seller on OfferUp. The fabric arrived yesterday and my seamstress completed my set of sheets today. They are perfect. The roses are quite large and very colorful with the green stems. I have searched far and wide for rose pattern satin fabric, it just doesn't exist and what floral patterns there are I found are very expensive. I think this fabric probably cost $15/yard. I paid $3. And then I find this. And to boot it just happens to be the most beautiful satin I have ever seen. My sheets are exquisite and one of a kind. My seamstress did a burn test and said the fabric is polyester but this one is different. I've never seen polyester satin that has the hand of this one. It's heavier and thicker and feels so good. I starched the sheets some and the fabric feels as good as acetate satin. I have been provided with the king satin sheets of my dreams. The find of a lifetime. The seller decided to go with a different style of fabric and made me one very happy camper. This will never happen again. They are the most romantic, sensual and sexual satin sheets I've ever had and to have them as mine....well, you all know what I mean. Cheers. Satin Sheets
davidben

Re: Another set of satin sheets

Post by davidben »

Well done on firstly sourcing and then having the sheets made up by a seamstress.

As far as I am concerned this really is the only way to do it, yes, maybe a little more expensive but you do have the satisfaction of knowing they are bespoke and the material will last.

I like the idea of starching them to make them feel more akin to acetate; I found a can of starch spray in my local Poundland for £ 1.

I currently have my older black satin sheets on the bed but I think they may be gently hand washed in the bath tomorrow given the great weather and then starched and ironed.

For hand-washing I use Tesco's Silk and Delicates hand-wash liquid though I have seen people suggesting plain liquid detergent.

They are not really dirty as such so don't require a lot of washing. Do you use fabric conditioner too ?

Another issue is which side to iron on when still just a little damp - shiny or dull side ?

There is certainly NOTHING like getting into a brand new set of virgin sheets or older ones which have been freshly laundered !

Enjoy !!
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

I guess I don’t really get the starching bit. A lot of the older folks here really like Acetate, but I prefer 100% Polyester. Acetate is too dull on the opposite side for my liking, and it isn’t as slippery.

I mean yeah; it would make sense that satin sheets would be much better quality just using Satin fabric and having them made into sheets by someone than buying the satin sheet crap that comes in a bag or whatever. Those are almost always lousy quality these days.
Satinsheets

Post by Satinsheets »

Hi Kids; I just use downy fabric softener in the rinse cycle and woollite in the wash cycle. I don't use fabric conditioner. I do prefer acetate satin and this new fabric is polyester according to the burn test but it's thick and really feels like acetate satin. Polyester sheets sold online I find to be thin, scratchy, a flimsy weight and satin I just don't care for. I don't know what I found here but the satin is heavenly, the roses are beautiful and they are the prettiest satin sheets I have ever seen. There are 5 different roses displayed in the fabric with the largest being around 9 inches with the stem, leaves and flower. I've wanted a rose pattern satin sheet set for 50 years now as my first satin blouse was a rose pattern and this sheet set sure reminds me of that blouse that introduced me to satin. So I hit a grand slam this time around. I know I will never duplicate this gem. Cheers. Satinsheets
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

Satinsheets wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:58 pm Hi Kids; I just use downy fabric softener in the rinse cycle and woollite in the wash cycle. I don't use fabric conditioner. I do prefer acetate satin and this new fabric is polyester according to the burn test but it's thick and really feels like acetate satin. Polyester sheets sold online I find to be thin, scratchy, a flimsy weight and satin I just don't care for. I don't know what I found here but the satin is heavenly, the roses are beautiful and they are the prettiest satin sheets I have ever seen. There are 5 different roses displayed in the fabric with the largest being around 9 inches with the stem, leaves and flower. I've wanted a rose pattern satin sheet set for 50 years now as my first satin blouse was a rose pattern and this sheet set sure reminds me of that blouse that introduced me to satin. So I hit a grand slam this time around. I know I will never duplicate this gem. Cheers. Satinsheets
Maybe it’s bridal satin fabric or something? Not sure. There are so many different types! I prefer the thicker stuff myself. So, did you have enough fabric to make just a flat sheet and a fitted sheet? Pillowcases too? Is the Satin on both sides? I’d love to have satin sheets that were satin on both sides. That’s why I like satin comforters / satin duvet covers.
Satinsheets

Post by Satinsheets »

Hi Freddie; I have received samples of the bridal satin from that company in California and found their fabric to be not as nice as what I just got so maybe this is a type of bridal satin as well. As you mentioned there are so many satins making different claims. It comes down to what do "you" feel is best, what do you like the most. Personal preference. We're all different and have our different likes and dislikes. I'm just really pleased that what I just found was so perfect. Cheers. Satinsheets
Satinsheets

Post by Satinsheets »

Hello Satin Lovers; I just spent 2 hours washing and ironing my new satin sheets. I wanted to get that "gritty feeling" the fabric had and get to the real feel of my new found lovely satin sheets. I started with woolite on the delicate cycle and finished with a dose of fabric softener in the rinse cycle. The result after ironing was a very nice soft hand and with a dusting of starch provided just the right amount of body to the fabric. The satin is polyester satin but it is very nice and feels very soft and silky. Not to mention how romantic they are with all those roses. I await slipping into bed naked tonight and let all that satin caress me to ecstasy. I love my new sheets very much. Cheers. Satin Sheets