Satin resources in the SF Bay Area

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
simonr

Satin resources in the SF Bay Area

Post by simonr »

I'm moving to the San Francisco Bay Area in a couple of weeks' time. Anyone else lives there? Any suggestions where I can find nice satin outfits in the area?
satindoona

Re: Satin resources in the SF Bay Area

Post by satindoona »

What sort of thing are you looking for? Cause I can tell you there isn't much.
If it has genitals on the outside it’s hiding something on the inside. -Karen Walker
Trappedinsatin

Post by Trappedinsatin »

There’s a lot of stores in San Francisco Chinatown that sell lovely silky clothes - cheongsams, robes, pajamas etc...
I bought quite a few dresses there when I visited the area.
simonr

Post by simonr »

satindoona wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm What sort of thing are you looking for? Cause I can tell you there isn't much.
I'm looking more for charity / second-hand shops that have some nice satin prom dresses.

I know that there is always the good old eBay, but I have become more inclined to buying my satin in physical stores, where I can touch the fabric and judge its quality before paying.

The last time I was in the Bay area, I saw some nice satin prom dresses in a Macy's, but the price makes me want to cry... So I'm sticking to charity shops.
simonr

Post by simonr »

Trappedinsatin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 pm There’s a lot of stores in San Francisco Chinatown that sell lovely silky clothes - cheongsams, robes, pajamas etc...
I bought quite a few dresses there when I visited the area.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely check it out
satindoona

Post by satindoona »

Aha, I thought you were looking for new items. The used market is a lot wider.

There is Chinatown as mentioned previously, the quality of goods is always wanting. My successes in finding good items here in the bay are to visit thrift shops in relatively good neighborhoods.

The major ones here are Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army and there a few thrift shops run independently. Peak for finding good stuff was maybe three or four years ago, now not so much. There are a few boutique places that do clothing resale, but again it's hit or miss.
If it has genitals on the outside it’s hiding something on the inside. -Karen Walker
simonr

Post by simonr »

satindoona wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm Aha, I thought you were looking for new items. The used market is a lot wider.

There is Chinatown as mentioned previously, the quality of goods is always wanting. My successes in finding good items here in the bay are to visit thrift shops in relatively good neighborhoods.

The major ones here are Goodwill, Savers, Salvation Army and there a few thrift shops run independently. Peak for finding good stuff was maybe three or four years ago, now not so much. There are a few boutique places that do clothing resale, but again it's hit or miss.
That's some good advice! You mentioned thrift shops in "good neighborhoods". Any particular neighborhoods to recommend? :D
satindoona

Post by satindoona »

Depends where you are. Gas isn't cheap round these parts and you really need to bear in mind where you're based out of. Can probably recommend most of the south peninsula towards the San Jose. Fremont, Dublin pleasanton area, Oakland, more thrift stores in Berkeley and Palo Alto, and parts of Marin. Generally speaking, the better off neighborhoods usually tend not to have the goodwill in their town so they push them into the nearest not rich neighborhood.

Look up savers, there's bound to be one close to where you're moving to.
simonr

Post by simonr »

satindoona wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:57 pm Depends where you are. Gas isn't cheap round these parts and you really need to bear in mind where you're based out of. Can probably recommend most of the south peninsula towards the San Jose. Fremont, Dublin pleasanton area, Oakland, more thrift stores in Berkeley and Palo Alto, and parts of Marin. Generally speaking, the better off neighborhoods usually tend not to have the goodwill in their town so they push them into the nearest not rich neighborhood.

Look up savers, there's bound to be one close to where you're moving to.
Thanks for the good advice! I'll look out for Savers and Goodwill.

I'll most probably settle in the Santa Clara / San Jose area, so squarely in the recommended area :D
simonr

Post by simonr »

Checked out two Goodwill stores near where I'm staying (in the Campbell area) and didn't see a single satin outfit...

Guess satin is on its way down here in the bay area, just like it is everywhere in the world :cry:
AlanaRaso

Post by AlanaRaso »

Agreed, satin is getting really hard to find. I do know of a good fabric store is want to buy some yardage in a variety of weights, texture and colors - Fabrics R Us in San Jose on East Oakland Rd. I bought most of my good gowns and dresses in the mid-90s. Nothing much is available now, so I am sewing my own. I now own five different sewing machings and have become a bit of an expert with the old Singers.