Is Satin Endangered?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
slavetosatin

Re: Is Satin Endangered?

Post by slavetosatin »

It may well be cheap satin but I'm relishing the resurgence of this particular satin garment.

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/s ... rt-8127774

https://www.riverisland.com/p/black-sat ... irt-730830
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

slavetosatin wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:38 pm It may well be cheap satin but I'm relishing the resurgence of this particular satin garment.

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/s ... rt-8127774

https://www.riverisland.com/p/black-sat ... irt-730830
Oh yes me too! Lots of these satin midi skirts around at the moment in the stores. I've yet to see anyone wearing them though...I must live in a fashion-backward town as all the women just wear leggings or jeans! :lol:
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

I agree satin is endangered. I'm from malaysia. we don't have many satin wearers here. mostly are the malays only. as Chinese, we lack satin wearers. Chinese finds satin and silk as inconvenient clothings. might scratch them in washing or wearing process. thus they are treated as luxury stuffs that u only wear during wedding dinners or special occasion events. and most Chinese ladies here only wear satin dress for special occasions. you don't see them wear satin blouse or skirts.

if it weren't for me, my wife wouldn't wear it. but I'm glad she likes them now.
jahriddem

Post by jahriddem »

Historically Fashion trends happen every 20 or so years

late 70-early 80's we had disco which hosted a bunch of satin

late 1990-early 2000 we had satin prom dresses were big- Satin jeans were a trend for about 2 years Adidas and umbro almost exclusively made satin shorts.

2007-2017 this period was dead - all prom dresses and now lace or chiffon same with lingerie . lots of clothing being produced is with stretchy fabrics to help fit more girls better investment. any nice satin usually doesnt have any stretch or very little. also satin is a very difficult and unforgiving fabric to sew with

later 2017-2019 Almost 20 years later ;) iv been noticing a bunch of sating dresses and clothing starting to be produced . "i like mini dresses on girls" and i frequently search online retailers and it seems to be coming back again :). A previous post stated that its thin and feels differently. my best guess is becous they started to manufacture stretch satin type fabrics so this is why big retailers are starting to use them more. but the downfall is that they are 5-10% lycra which does in fact change the characteristics.

im hoping to see another 2+ years in the trend we are in now . But yes very unfortunate girls fashion has been on a major downturn High waisted jeans and denim shorts. party dresses made on plain boring cotton :? girls almost exclusively just wear tights . lingerie is just lace and underwear just cotton

but all is not lost
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

The change in prom dresses was more around 2011-2012.

I’d say most of my stuff is from 2005-2010 or so.

2013 or so all went downhill from there.
Itsashineyworld

Post by Itsashineyworld »

Apparently satin midi skirts are in fashion at the moment. It may not be that endangered after all.
Mmmmm… Shiney.
simonr

Post by simonr »

Dinosaur wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm I agree satin is endangered. I'm from malaysia. we don't have many satin wearers here. mostly are the malays only. as Chinese, we lack satin wearers. Chinese finds satin and silk as inconvenient clothings. might scratch them in washing or wearing process. thus they are treated as luxury stuffs that u only wear during wedding dinners or special occasion events. and most Chinese ladies here only wear satin dress for special occasions. you don't see them wear satin blouse or skirts.

if it weren't for me, my wife wouldn't wear it. but I'm glad she likes them now.
Nowadays even the Malay ladies are moving away from satin. I used to find rows and rows of satin wear when I went to the Hari Raya (Malay festival) markets. Nowadays I see a rare satin here and there... Instead, now I see rows and rows of chiffon and lace...
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

Satin has been disappearing in everyday wear and professional wear for a good while. Even ladies coats have cheap taffeta linings. I would like to see a comeback in satin in formal wear though. Meanwhile, I will just keep finding my satin on Ebay Etc. Even Ebay and the other sites have very little quality vintage satin gowns and dresses.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

simonr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:36 am
Dinosaur wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:26 pm I agree satin is endangered. I'm from malaysia. we don't have many satin wearers here. mostly are the malays only. as Chinese, we lack satin wearers. Chinese finds satin and silk as inconvenient clothings. might scratch them in washing or wearing process. thus they are treated as luxury stuffs that u only wear during wedding dinners or special occasion events. and most Chinese ladies here only wear satin dress for special occasions. you don't see them wear satin blouse or skirts.

Nowadays even the Malay ladies are moving away from satin. I used to find rows and rows of satin wear when I went to the Hari Raya (Malay festival) markets. Nowadays I see a rare satin here and there... Instead, now I see rows and rows of chiffon and lace...
True. It's very boring nowadays. I used to have a Malay biology teacher. She's hot as a goddess. And she always wear fitting satin wear. Can see her curves. Everyone in my class treats her as our goddess. Thinking of her makes me feel like cumming.

Last time when I go to govt departments, the Malays wears satin or silk. Today, boring chiffon. Satin and silk is definitely dying.

Around my stay area, there's a lady staying on her own (someone else's second wife and got abandoned, daughter somewhere else now). She wear satin and silk nightwear. And that's because she hangs her laundries at the common area. Though she's kinda old, sometimes I imagine that she wears them. Hahaha.

Anyway, it's truly sad that satin and silk is dying in Malaysia. Everyone is replacing with chiffon or rubbish cotton.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

coatfun wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:06 pm Satin has been disappearing in everyday wear and professional wear for a good while. Even ladies coats have cheap taffeta linings. I would like to see a comeback in satin in formal wear though. Meanwhile, I will just keep finding my satin on Ebay Etc. Even Ebay and the other sites have very little quality vintage satin gowns and dresses.
Don't think that's possible. Most ladies are LAZY today. Satin and silk needs proper maintenance and care. Most ladies today prefer chiffon or cotton because those fabrics and materials don't suffer from scratches.

Some of my wife's blouses has minor scratches. It's really difficult to take care.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Anyway guys, I'm buying this for my woman. Says satin, let's see if it's see through. If it's thick enough, gonna ask her to wear it in public.
Attachments
IMG-20190301-WA0003.jpg
simonr

Post by simonr »

I was recently in the US for a week and went into a Macy's department store. That trip gave me a little more confidence in the future of satin :D I saw rows and rows of prom dresses. Though most of them are made of boring chiffon, at least 10% are shiny satin!
jellyjazz

Post by jellyjazz »

You’s are very mistaken... girls in my town are flat out wearing satin. This online retailer has tons of it...

https://www.prettylittlething.com/catal ... t/?q=Satin
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

jellyjazz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm You’s are very mistaken... girls in my town are flat out wearing satin. This online retailer has tons of it...

We’re not mistaken at all; that’s the cheap fabric several of us have talked about. Online retailers have flooded the market with it.
Cassandra

Post by Cassandra »

Freddielinton wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:30 pm
jellyjazz wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm You’s are very mistaken... girls in my town are flat out wearing satin. This online retailer has tons of it...

We’re not mistaken at all; that’s the cheap fabric several of us have talked about. Online retailers have flooded the market with it.
I think Freddielinton has a valid point. It may not be 'quality' satin from a bygone era but it still looks and feels amazing. To see a girl out wearing one of those outfits is an absolute joy. And there does seem to be a lot of it around at the moment among the 'fast fashion' retailers such as PLT, Missguided, Asos, Boohoo etc.

So I for one am not complaining and regularly adding some lovely things to my shopping cart!