Momme for softest satin?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
softsatin

Momme for softest satin?

Post by softsatin »

Momme (when referring to silks) is a measure of a silk's weight.

I know that lighter mommes result in a much "flowier" silk, which could lead to softer satin.However, these are typically too light. Do heavier mommes result in worse satin? Has anyone found a good balance?
IReallyLovePureSilk

Re: Momme for softest satin?

Post by IReallyLovePureSilk »

I would probably say anywhere between 16-21 momme weight class. Of course the weight would also mean how much it would cost as well.

Higher weight classes are more expensive. From what I’ve seen, 12mm is the lightest silk satin/charmeuse and it goes all the way up to 40mm if not more. I like flowiness to it more so I tend to go for more lighter weight silk satin/charmeuse up to 19mm. Highest I could go is probably 21mm. For me, 16 is the sweet spot in terms of its smooth feel and flowiness.

Also from what I’ve heard lately, the bolt size makes a difference as well. 45” bolts tend to feel better than wider bolts of silk fabric. If you’re looking for sheets, it’s probably best to go for those that have a seam vertically down the middle.

I know a lot about that but I’m still trying to learn more, keep that in mind. There’s another person I know who’s in the forum who knows just about as much as I do about it. Hopefully he can give his ideas and opinions in this post as well!

What momme weight have you experienced if you don’t mind me asking?
How a woman should be touched...
When you drop silk on her skin, the same way that touches her and falls down at the same time... that is the perfect way to touch a woman...

softsatin

Post by softsatin »

The last time I actually felt 100% silk satin was over 4 years ago, so I don't actually know what the momme or the feel was...looking to buy some now but I'm not sure where else to get quality silk satin clothes or fabric other than ebay...
IReallyLovePureSilk

You might be satisfied with any silk around the 19-22mm weight. Durable and soft with a bit of heaviness to it yet still drapes well. If you’re looking for dresses, usually the ankle to floor length dresses are the heavier silks because they (nearly) touch the ground, same for tight fitting dresses. Blouses, robes and sleepwear/lingerie vary between medium to heavy. 16-19 is considered medium weight. Scarves vary as well. Most I’ve seen are in the light to medium weight unless specified heavy. Most sheets start at 19mm all the way up to the highest though it’s possible to get them at 16mm at other sources.
When you drop silk on her skin, the same way that touches her and falls down at the same time... that is the perfect way to touch a woman...

softsatin

Post by softsatin »

I was thinking of trying some free samples from this site: http://www.jbsilks.com/satin.html

Seems they've got both 19 momme and 30 momme. Time to try some 19 momme and see how good it feels, I guess.
IReallyLovePureSilk

Interesting site! Never heard of that one before. How much of it did you order (if you have done so)? I might check out their 16mm at some point. I noticed that there’s no prices listed. Did they say how much per yard?

softsatin

Post by softsatin »

No idea, but I'm going to request free samples here: http://www.jbsilks.com/free-samples.html

Where do you usually find your silks?