Tips for making satin softer?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
softsatin

Tips for making satin softer?

Post by softsatin »

I bought two of the same dresses from different people and one is distinctly softer. Any idea how I soften the other one up to par?
Freddielinton

Re: Tips for making satin softer?

Post by Freddielinton »

softsatin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 pm I bought two of the same dresses from different people and one is distinctly softer. Any idea how I soften the other one up to par?
I’m gonna go ahead and assume one was probably professionally dry cleaned after being worn (pretty common after prom or homecoming or whatever), cleaned at home somehow, and / or perhaps used some sort of fabric softener. I’ve experienced this myself.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the brands, etc...?
softsatin

Post by softsatin »

Freddielinton wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 pm
softsatin wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:33 pm I bought two of the same dresses from different people and one is distinctly softer. Any idea how I soften the other one up to par?
I’m gonna go ahead and assume one was probably professionally dry cleaned after being worn (pretty common after prom or homecoming or whatever), cleaned at home somehow, and / or perhaps used some sort of fabric softener. I’ve experienced this myself.

I've noticed this with two Faviana dresses I own, as well as two pieces of satin fabric that I have bought.
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

softsatin wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 1:14 am
Freddielinton wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:57 pm

I've noticed this with two Faviana dresses I own, as well as two pieces of satin fabric that I have bought.
Not sure about the fabric, but what I said above probably applies to the dresses. Post some pics maybe? And you prefer the softer over the non-soft? I’m not sure I actually have a preference; it all feels great to me!

Oh, and save some damn dresses for the rest of us! 😉
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

I have 2 Red Satin Gunne Sax gowns, both bought on Ebay at different times. They are the exact same gowns, same style number from a distance they are twins, but one is made out of a little lighter weight acetate satin than the other. I believe they were made for two different stores to sell. Both are great quality satin gowns. One is just a little softer than the other, but both are the same smooth and silky and feel really good. I think they either changed the satin to cut cost or their supplier ran out of the heavier satin. Both are great satin fucks.
paulasatijn

Post by paulasatijn »

Like others remarked before the difference in softness between your two satin dresses is probably due to the fabric; not all satin is the same material or quality or has the same feel.

For satin items that can go in the washing machine (e.g. slips and nightdresses) my method to make satin as soft, smooth and shiny as possible is to wash it with plenty of fabric softener (no or low speed centrifuge only or else the satin may damage!), then tumble dry at low temperature and finally iron it (at low temperature with setting for "nylon" or else your satin may melt!).

Items that cannot go in the washing machine (e.g. certain dresses or gowns) I wash them in the bath with soap or if they are not that dirty I sometimes simply wear them under the shower to wash them. Then again the same treatment as above: tuble dry and low temp ironing.
softsatin

Post by softsatin »

Thank you all for the replies! I will dig up my old iron from somewhere and probably wash my old dresses as well. Given that I have a top loader, I doubt machine washing will help, so I'll need to find some other way to use fabric softener...
Freddielinton wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 3:02 am
Not sure about the fabric, but what I said above probably applies to the dresses. Post some pics maybe? And you prefer the softer over the non-soft? I’m not sure I actually have a preference; it all feels great to me!

Oh, and save some damn dresses for the rest of us! 😉
Actually, there's this mediocre dress I found that had the most amazing lining; sadly I have no leads on it other than "100% polyester"... I'd take that cut-out lining over any Faviana dress, any day!
IReallyLovePureSilk

Post by IReallyLovePureSilk »

I’d figure that I’d chime in on the pure silk satin end. It’s been a very long time since I posted or replied at this forum but I check in from time to time.

The best silk satin is without question, fresh off the rack. That’s the best you’re probably gonna get from that. If you want to keep it as close to it as possible, an eco-friendly, professional dry cleaning is your best bet. Take it to a cheap cleaner, you’re getting a cheap clean. Meaning there’s different outcomes to how it will turn out. It’s either:

A) Faded and discoloured but still soft yet not as floaty and airy
B) Still shiny and smooth but much more stiff
C) Probably washed and dried to where it’s faded and not as smooth but as floaty and airy as new...depending on what detergent and/or softener you use and how much of that, which has to be minuscule at best.

It’s a mixture between those as well but they do degrade the quality of it regardless, which is why I say eco-cleaning is the way to go for it. It’s the best way to keep it smooth, shiny and and “almost” as flowing as new! My experiences with them, I can tell the difference on whether the silks I buy have been cleaned or if it’s fresh!
How a woman should be touched...
When you drop silk on her skin, the same way that touches her and falls down at the same time... that is the perfect way to touch a woman...

slipperysatin

Post by slipperysatin »

I use fabric softener than timble dry low heat and iron on supef low heat. (Yes i have melted nylon satin shorts before.) Nylon and satin do not like heat i melted a pair in the dryer once. Cotton clothes got so hot the thin slinky material melted like globs of liquid plastic everywhere
24349ae8-7d70-4c01-a5af-6f15e532d9fe.jpg