How can i make my sheets feel crisp as new?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
DustEhMuffin

How can i make my sheets feel crisp as new?

Post by DustEhMuffin »

Hello, first time posting here, and I come to you asking for help. I have had a huge fetish for satin since being a young child and couldn't imagine my sex life without this lovely fabric. i absolutely love getting a new, crisp set of sheets or pajamas and sliding around in it's smoothness. A brand new set of acetate sheets just have this amazing silky smoothness to them that is like no other. however, after a few nights of sleep and play on them, the wrinkles start to set in and they lose a bit of their crisp, smoothness. And after the first wash, they never feel the same.

I've tried a few different things in an attempt to try to restore them to being as smooth as they once were, but nothing really seems to completely get rid of all the wrinkles and bring back the crisp feeling of some brand new sheets. Ironing does get rid of all the big wrinkles, but the smaller wrinkles never seem to go away. I tried using a dry cleaning service once on some pillowcases, and that worked quite well. They got rid of most of the wrinkles, but it still wasn't quite right. It wasn't as smooth and crisp as i want it to be, and of course dry cleaning my sheets every couple of weeks isn't affordable. I've tried using spray starch from an aerosol can and that seemed to help a little bit with the stiffness, yet still something is missing.

So, what have you found to be the best method as to cleaning your sheets and making them feel great?
SatinFantasy

Re: How can i make my sheets feel crisp as new?

Post by SatinFantasy »

Hi Dust,

Welcome to the forum!

I like to wash them as it makes them softer in my experience. But I do find ironing them when they're a bit damp, with the hottest steam you can without ruining them gets almost all the wrikles out.

My acetate sheets are beyond soft! Just a whole different experience to poly ones, or even silk satin.
scintilla

Post by scintilla »

Hello Dust: Welcome to the Satin Forum. I too have a fetish for acetate satin sheets and have for years. I experienced your issue and know what you are going through. I also iron my sheets when they are finished in the wash. I NEVER put them in the dryer as that will ruin the satin. So when damp from the washer I will use heavy starch as I iron and my sheets always come out with body (not super stiff though) and the feel of the fabric is nicer than when coming right out of the package. I also iron my sheets when on the bed and do change them once a week, that way when I want to masturbate with them they are smooth. I usually just spray water on my sheets and cases as there is still a nice feel from the starching. If you are interested there is a king set of vintage Scintilla satin sheets on ebay today. I just bought 6 sets from her this month and Scintilla made the finest satin sheets ever. I have 15 sets now plus another 25 sets from other vendors. They are pricey at $125 but she may give you free shipping and Scintilla satin sheets are rare. As you can see, I do fancy them as my handle on the forum is Scintilla. Let me know how your ironing turns out. Cheers. Scintilla is Satin is Scintilla
DustEhMuffin

Post by DustEhMuffin »

ruin them!? I've been using the dryer to clean them, but it's on the delicate setting. Does this do irreversible damage to the fabric?
scintilla

Post by scintilla »

Greetings again Dust. I remember my first set of satin sheets that I threw in the dryer. They were made by Chatelaine and they practically fell apart. No body in the fabric and I just couldn't get it back. I'll also never buy them again because they are cheaply made, the fabric pulls apart even when washed in cold water and ironed. So I'm just not one to dry my satin sheets as the body does go out of the fabric, not to mention the static electricity!! Try washing a pillowcase and then starching it. Hope you see what I mean. Cheers. Scintilla is Satin is Scintilla
DustEhMuffin

Post by DustEhMuffin »

Wow I'm sure that's my problem then! thank you so much, I've been trying to figure this out myself for a while. You have done me a great favor.
scintilla

Post by scintilla »

Greetings again Dust. No problem. Love assisting a fellow satinist and satin sheet admirer. Let me know how thing turn out. Anyone on the Forum purchase that last set of Scintilla satin sheets on ebay. Enjoy. Cheers. Scintilla is Satin is Scintilla
seasideshow

Post by seasideshow »

If you have bought acetate sheets new I find the only way to keep them in as new condition is to get them dry cleaned, If you wash acetate it takes all the "body" out of the material and you can never get it back. The only disadvantage with the dry cleaning is that it can be expensive, here in the U.K they go by weight and unfortunately acetate is very heavy but it is well worth the cost to keep a good set of sheets in top condition.
DustEhMuffin

Post by DustEhMuffin »

So i tried to iron them while still damp without putting them in the dryer. I starched them and ironed them on the lowest heat setting of my iron. As far as wrinkles and body goes, it came out nice. There weren't any wrinkles and it had great stiffness. However, the problem really is that it just isn't that slick anymore. They aren't even nearly as smooth. Being a satin lover, this is the most important thing to me in my sheets and the difference is night and day.

Upon closer inspection, the fabric does appear to look a bit worn, or damaged. The fibers look a bit 'fuzzy' for lack of a better word. Is this just from general use and it's inevitable because of the nature of the fabric being so delicate?

Also, the brand of sheets that I have been using are scent-sation's 100% acetate satin. I have also had several sets of victoria's secret 100% acetate satin bedding, which have a very similar feeling right out of the package, but the same thing happens to them after the first use.

Thank you folks so much for your help.
scintilla

Post by scintilla »

Greetings again Dusteh. I also have about 20 sets of Scentsations acetate satin sheets and they are all still in very nice condition. First off if you have been using the dryer, that has probably affected the body or crispness of the sheets. If you don't wear socks to bed your toe nails and rough feet can create fabric hairs or "scillias" throughout the fabric. Also scentsations discontinued the acetate satin about 15 years ago so if your sheets are older and uncared for, that will also affect their condition. If you only have a couple sets of satin sheets and use them all the time, then that will also add to their destruction. I am fortunate to have 40 sets of satin sheets and have taken care of them by washing in cold water and ironing and starching them and never putting them in the dryer. I do not use the lowest setting on my iron but rather the highest, even when removing the wrinkles when sheets are on the bed. Satin will not scorch when wet or sprayed with water, plus you don't leave the hot iron setting on the fabric. My satin always feels smooth, soft and silky and never without body. I guess I am fortunate to have learned how to take care of the queen of fabrics. Good luck on your endeavors. Stay in touch. Cheers. Scintilla is Satin is Scintilla
IReallyLovePureSilk

Post by IReallyLovePureSilk »

I may not speak for everyone as laundering theories vary so I'll do my best in this situation.

Chances are, when you already have a problem attempting to "restore" the feel of your satin sheets or any satin for that matter...there's a great chance that there is no possible solution to that problem. What's done is done. Once you start with fresh new satin sheets, to some it's a challenge to keep it as smooth as it should feel from the first time you bought it and some people can have it feeling smoother than they first got it. In other words, it's safe to say...get new satin sheets.

SatinFantasy wrote:My acetate sheets are beyond soft! Just a whole different experience to poly ones, or even silk satin.

Opinions vary between us though I will say this (yes this is my opinion also but is also a fact as well)...nothing really flows and rests on naked skin (basically can get into deep crevices without any additional help) better than fresh pure silk satin!
How a woman should be touched...
When you drop silk on her skin, the same way that touches her and falls down at the same time... that is the perfect way to touch a woman...