What was your first Satin Outfit / Garment Purchase?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
AlanaRaso

What was your first Satin Outfit / Garment Purchase?

Post by AlanaRaso »

It's time to say goodbye to another load of satin outfits today. The giveaway load includes my second satin purchase. When I was 16, I bought my first satin. Before Valentine's Day, I took the bus to Hillsdale Shopping Mall in San Mateo to visit the Macy's Lingerie department. It was a trip I had made many times before, looking at satin. This time I had my savings and mustered the courage to actually shop. I was on a mission to buy an outfit for my 'girlfriend' - who was me.

In 45 minutes of deliberation, and with the helpful assistance of a middle-aged sales associate (who knew within 3 minutes that the purchase was for me), I selected a pair of purple satin jacquard pajamas. The top was a tunic with a boat neck and kimono sleeves. It was a pair of wide trousers with a wide leg, almost but not quite as wide as palazzo pants. The fabric was soft and flowing, the top was a bit oversized for me at that time - which I am grateful for as I was able to get a decade worth of use out of it. I loved the swish and delightful caress that the wide leg pants gave to my shaved legs (I was a competitive swimmer, so shaving was normal for me). I still remember on the bus ride home, sneaking my hand into the bag to feel the soft fabric.This was 1979 and I paid about $50 for this.

The sales lady rang me up with a smile and assured me that I could return the pajamas if "she" didn't like them. I kept them hidden during the day between my bed mattress and box spring. I would hand-wash them in the bathroom and dry them in the corner of my closet.

That same Spring, I was determined to buy another piece of satin to start building my wardrobe. As we were nearing Mother's Day, I took my part-time job savings and ventured back to Macys lingerie department. I was looking for the same sales lady, but she was not there. What I did find and instantly fell in love with was this Ivory Laura Adams full-length satin robe. See photos. I swooned at the 1930s starlet bias look. I said this was for my mother and needed size Large (I was at best a medium, but I wanted more fabric). It has lovely shoulder pads, cuffed sleeves and a built in belt. It was the perfect cover for my pajamas and I wore the set often at night or during the day when my family was away and left me home alone. 45 years later, it is time to say goodbye to the stained, but still soft fabric. Amazingly, there are no rips or snags. I really love my garments. This always took a big chunk of my savings because at that time most garments were US made - and I can attest - Made to Last.

I'm sure my Mother discovered my satins. She was the kind who snooped. But she never said anything. She was a skilled seamstress and I would have enjoyed a Mother-Daughter relationship with her. But she wasn't that type of lady. I need to get this into the donation bag, but I am lingering with the memories.

These were my first satin purchases, what about yours?
Attachments
satinrobe-front.jpg
satinrobe-tie.jpg
PXL_20230626_164931949.jpg
paulasatijn

Re: What was your first Satin Outfit / Garment Purchase?

Post by paulasatijn »

As a kid I wore satin soccer shorts for sports and in summer. Back in the 80s everybody did so, great times.

My very first satin purchase was a white satin slip. I bought it at a department shop when I was 17 and I remember that I was very nervous, but I really wanted to have it so I purchased it anyway with a very red head. I still have the slip today and it is still as good as new; excellent quality! Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the slip.

One of my next purchases was a pale green nightdress from Marks & Spencer, my first ever nightdress. That must have been in the early 90s and I also still have this nightdress today and it's in great shape. I have a photo of it; my friend Laila has modeled it for me:

AlanaRaso

Post by AlanaRaso »

paulasatijn wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:38 pm As a kid I wore satin soccer shorts for sports and in summer. Back in the 80s everybody did so, great times.

My very first satin purchase was a white satin slip. I bought it at a department shop when I was 17 and I remember that I was very nervous, but I really wanted to have it so I purchased it anyway with a very red head. I still have the slip today and it is still as good as new; excellent quality! Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the slip.Image
I also wore satin soccer shorts through the 80s & 90s.
When I was at University I started build a slip collection. I became hooked on Farr West slips that used high quality Japanese Poly Charmeuse. The still look and feel as good today as they did when I first bought them. The Vintage Farr West slips are fantastic!
deepinshine

Post by deepinshine »

Wow, wonderful and brave that you really went to the store and bought your first satin dress! Even today i still don't have enough guts to do that 😅 and quite emotional that you need to say goodbye to it..

I bought my first satin dress online, actually all my satin clothes were bought online 😂 it was 2015, when i was 17 yr, i decided to get myself a birthday present. Online purchasing was very easy, but hiding it from my parents was not. I remember it was shipped to my highschool, so that i could bring it home in my backpack without being noticed, and hide it under my mattress. It was a light pink satin/brocade cheongsam without sleeves, with stuff collar and knot buckles. I still remember how excited i was when I got that package. i went to the toilet of school and tried it on. It was so smooth and silky, made me super excited. Of course, you could easily guess what happen next ~~
For these years, i bought many new ones and lost quite some, the quality of them were all better than that pink cheongsam, but never do i even think about giving this pink dress away, though i am much bigger now and could not fit in it. It always reminds me of the excitement and nervous, and the crazy afternoon in school toilet~
Erztcuvonpmp.jpg
AlanaRaso

Post by AlanaRaso »

Buying Satin for yourself is very easy. Here is my secret. I am a photographer (as a hobby). So I go to stores looking for outfits for a modeling shoot. If it is a thrift (charity shop in UK), sometimes I will tell them I need to fabric from the dress for a product background. I have had some shop people keep an eye out for certain types of dresses/fabrics for me. And I have used them in photo shoots.