Satin outfits

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
maxell

Re: Satin outfits

Post by maxell »

seasideshow wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:32 pm I like the looks of the purple outfit, these do cost a fortune but how good is the weight and quality of the satin?
To be honest, I was a little disappointed, the fabric seems to be just an average mediumweight modern day satin. It doesn't quite have the high sheen that the photos suggest. It depends on your taste. I prefer the high gloss satins made in the 1980's/90's. I like their designs but I wouldn't buy another outfit at those prices because of the average fabric. In their defence though, those high gloss satins probably just aren't made anymore.

I suppose Superdresses would justify the high cost on their unique designs; each garment is made to your measurements and is customisable to some degree, so you can add linings etc.
seasideshow

Re: Satin outfits

Post by seasideshow »

Thanks for your reply, I think you are right about the quality of satin nowadays. I prefer the older acetate satin with that super high gloss, the only disadvantage was to keep it in pristine condition it had to be dry cleaned, I have bought a number of dresses from the USA made by Jordan and Joanie g that were made from a quite heavy polyester that was washable. I think the basic problem is tha satin as a material is not a popular as it should be, especially here in the UK as the fashion industry has never really promoted it and British girls do not seem to like wearing it.