The Future For Satin : Clear Or Unclear?

General satin related chat. Talk about anything silk/satin related
Freddielinton

The Future For Satin : Clear Or Unclear?

Post by Freddielinton »

I've been thinking about this for a while now as I've seen how satin has definitely changed in popularity over the years. Growing up in my early teens, just fresh into the Satin game, things were so much different then. Satin Panties, Satin Foil Thongs, Girl's Satin Pajamas, and Satin Soccer Shorts reigned supreme, at least in my experience. I look back at how great those things were, and how difficult they are to come across these days. If you are lucky enough to find anything, the price is always really expensive. On eBay, I see 1-3 pairs of Satin Panties or Thongs selling for over $20 because they're so rare. You can't ever find those kinds of items cheap anymore, so it's almost hopeless as it's definitely not worth the price. Which got me thinking today about the future of satin clothing as a whole. What if satin becomes obsolete? What if everything we ever loved became so hard to find, or too expensive too afford? What would happen? It sounds like a satin lover's worst nightmare. It's scary to think about, but it's happening now. Right now, in our time. Look at the facts. Lingerie & intimates are the only area where satin is still relevant, but even that is becoming smaller and smaller. Cottons and Microfibers now seem to be the fabrics of choice. Affordable Satin Lingerie made with fine satin fabrics are kind of hard to find, but not as hard as 90's and early 2000's style panties & thongs. Everyone outsources now which means cheaper costs, cheaper materials, and higher retail prices. Basically, now you're paying for shit. That is why eBay is so great, because you can find tons of things that are amazing. I have noticed though, that prices have begun to increase on Lingerie as well. My second point is to look at Prom Dresses. Satin used to be the prime material used for almost every dress. Now, it is slowly being replaced by chiffon, a mesh / lace material, sequins, or cheap spandex. Another item of clothing I started out with was girl's satin pajamas. They don't make these like they used to either, as they too have fallen to more breathable fabrics such as cotton, fleece, and velour. Soccer shorts from the 80's & 90's were full of Satin & Nylon goodness. Now everything is made out of Microfibers or Lycra / Spandex. Do you see what I mean? What I'm trying to say is, satin is slowly and slowly being pushed out. I can't help but wonder how long it will be before it's completely gone, and the only place you'd be able to find them would be on eBay, because people would grab them all from second-hand stores to quadruple their prices selling them online to people like us who can't live without it. Of course, materials do come back in style after dying out for a while though. So, do you ever think satin will die out in our lifetime?
promdresslover

Re: The Future For Satin : Clear Or Unclear?

Post by promdresslover »

I don't think satin is going away, satin, like leather- is a classy and classic. You may see it fade out of the main scene, but it's ALWAYS on the set, and will be back in prime time soon enough when people grow tired of the cold, cheap and boring cotton and blend stuff. Satin will ALWAYS be the king of coat and dress linings, because NOTHING feels better against the naked body than satin, NOTHING.

Satin will stand the test of time. You can bank on that.
szewei85

Post by szewei85 »

satin is here 2 stay n i m sensing fashion transition is coming soon 8) i m previously a leather fetishist but now being a satin fetishist,,,my passion 2 cum heavy loads has skyrocketed since then :lol:
Destroy

Post by Destroy »

When I first saw the title of this thread I kinda laughed. But you do raise a few good points. The popularity of satin has declined through the years, as seen in the scarcity of certain satin items that once were more widespread. It didn't hit me on the role outsourcing has played either. I'm not a satin expert like you, but I take your word that the quality of satin is not what is once was, as are most things made in China and other foreign lands (not named Japan/Europe).

Not to panic too much though, satin will never completely disappear and drop off the face of the planet, because there will always be a market for them.
The thing that still really puzzles is my how satin isn't more of component in athe female wardrobe. How is it that girls spend so much time shopping and conscientious of fashions to not understand how beautiful they look in satin? A simple satin blouse is very sexy, yet not too extravagant for normal everyday wear. So why can't they understand??

Anyway, you raised some nice points. When I get the time I'm gonna visit Frederick's and VS and send in a feedback form with a big thank you and how much I appreciate them for the nice satin things they do offer. You just can't take satin for granted.
RIP Bob 6/27/1958 - 9/29/2015
X.com/CumStainDress
coatfun

Post by coatfun »

I think it's just a fashion thing, satin comes and goes in the fashion world. In the 30's 40's and 50's most of women's formal wear was made from really nice satin, especially bridal gowns most of those were made from high quality satin. Then came the 60's 70's satin was still used but not as much in women's formal wear. The one thing that makes me sad is that ladies coats have cheap taffeta linings now even the real expensive ones. I used to go shopping with my wife years ago and lust over all of the beautiful ladies satin lined coats. I noticed that satin made a real come back for formal wear a couple of years ago that's when i loved watching the beautiful movie stars walking the red carpet at the Academy Awards wearing the latest satin designer gowns, now you very seldom see a satin gown. Also I agree that nice quality satin items on Ebay are getting harder to find. It used to be that the sellers of ladies coats always showed a picture of the lining, I won;'t bid on a coat now with out seeing the lining. So if I really see a nice older or vintage ladies coat I will ask the seller to email me a picture of the lining. I got burned a couple of times thinking the vintage coat had a nice satin lining and it turned out to be cheap taffeta lining. I like acetate satin or rayon satin the best. I have to admit it would be nice to see satin make a big cumback (a little play on words). Nothing turns me on more than to see a lady remove her coat in a restaurant etc. and see a sexy satin lining.
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

I just wanted to write something that was thought-provoking, since I had been thinking about it a lot lately.

Thanks.
getther2004

Post by getther2004 »

Satin things were are and will be. This is old stuff, and humanity of it will not give up. Presence satin clothes each country differently. In Russia, a satin dress low price. I notice that the demand for a satin dress fell markedly. Why, I do not know = (((
maxilover

Post by maxilover »

I doubt satin will ever die out , but regarding PDL'S and Coatfun's comments on coat linings , i agree the linings are not the same quality as they used to be .Unfortunately we now live in a world were manufactures will cut corners to produce things cheaper , this seems to be the same with all satin nowadays . So here to stay , but not so good :(
szewei85

Post by szewei85 »

Destroy wrote:The thing that still really puzzles is my how satin isn't more of component in the female wardrobe. How is it that girls spend so much time shopping and conscientious of fashions to not understand how beautiful they look in satin? A simple satin blouse is very sexy, yet not too extravagant for normal everyday wear. So why can't they understand??
haha good point that u brought up...i believe gen Y girls these days r getting dumber n easily fall with cheap skate fashion trap...those r the group of girls born in the 90s...cant blame them though really due 2 the start of the decline of satin in that period...thanks goodness i was born in the 80s where satin was still in its glorious years :lol: if not,,,i wouldnt have bcum a satin fetishist now
seasideshow

Post by seasideshow »

Here in the UK girls very rarely wear satin, I think the trouble is the fashion industry, if they don't like satin then they will not promote it. The simple answer is for the girls to do their own thing and just wear satin outfits, what is wrong with a pair of good jeans teamed up with a satin top, or a nice summer dress in satin. This fantastic material is not just for wedding and proms wear it every day and look sexy and classy all at the same time, come on girls go for it!!
Satinesque

Post by Satinesque »

The future for satin is head-spinningly clear. Satin will be with us, forever.

No other material could possibly have an almost physical impact, and breath-catching effect, on those who love it in the way in which we do. I've loved it for over 48 years...if anything, my experience has been that it's production, and the demand for it, are on the increase.

If you know where to buy and are prepared to put in the hours on the Net, there will always be satin clothing made and distributed. The problem is, it's assumed to be a purely females-only product and that's not their fault...it's the guys' fault.

Guys should enter the market and start to wear satin clothing far more. If it's found to be beautiful to see and touch on girls, then somebody, somewhere, is going to find it beautiful to see and touch on guys...the GIRLS! I have a lot of platinum silver satin shirts. They're so dizzyingly beautiful to see, touch and wear that, when I go for walks in one (complete with a black two-piece suit), I almost never get to my destination on time. The delay is caused by vehicles stopping and windows being rolled down. It's almost always the women who ask and it's almost always basically, "Where can I get 'him' (the guy next to her) shirts like that?". One girl once said, "I will kill to get a shirt like that for my feller!" Another said, "I'll buy that shirt off you, right now - name it and do you trust cheques?"

And, many times, it's the guys themselves who stop. I've been offered over £100 for a platinum silver satin shirt that - and I told him, that night - cost me only £20. I couldn't possibly say how many times cars have pulled up and how many times the source of my shirts were asked about.

Now and then, a guy will stop for something completely different and they always get their marching orders from me, as flattered as I am.

When a guy runs the gauntlet of wearing satin in public, it's sometimes misread, but that's a rarity. If you love satin, support the continued existence of it by buying more and wearing it more, guys...it's the only way to increase the agitation of the market for that particular fabric. A concerted effort, nationwide (in your respective country), would have a staggering effect on the market.

Satin will increase in availability if guys thunder into the scene and start buying, AND WEARING (no time to be shy if you think your favourite fabric is somehow going to vanish, anyway) satin shirts and shorts. In the end, it's up to us to protect our beloved fabric from being a touch sidelined. But, even if men everywhere worship satin but don't wear it, it's around forever and aren't we delighted that it's so?

Stefan R.
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

I'm not so sure.
silkysatinbed

Post by silkysatinbed »

People have lusted after satin for centuries. European exploration was driven by the desire to get silk and satin more quickly from Asia. Fashions may come and go but satin will not be forgotten. Forty years ago it was almost impossible to buy satin sheets and bedding without ordering by mail. Today it can be found locally and in almost unlimited quantities on the web. Quality varies but the good stuff is still there. If you really run out of options you can by yards of satin from fabric shops.
Good topic for discussion but I'm not worried.
Freddielinton

Post by Freddielinton »

Two years later, and I'm bringing this thread back, because I'm beginning to think I was right; at least as far as prom dresses are concerned.

Prom was yesterday. No...my Sister didn't go. A lot of her friends went though, and from all the pictures I've seen on Facebook, every single girl is wearing these shitty flowy chiffon dresses. No satin in sight whatsoever. I think that's really, really, sad if satin prom dresses really become a thing of the past.
seasideshow

Post by seasideshow »

I think it's time the girls got their act together and started wearing satin everyday, here in the U.K. you hardly ever see anyone wearing satin, what's wrong with a satin shirt and jeans for doing the shopping or a nice satin cocktail dress for Friday night at the pub. I think the main trouble in this country is that the fashion industry will not promote or endorse satin as an everday material, come on girls it looks and feels fatastic WEAR IT!!!!